Jimmy me boy, I am (d.o.b.1944) in your same shoes! Stay away from this phone phone! It does have talk to text but it is also very slow, you don't know when it has stopped recording-the mic system stays on and that is because it has a Pelosi/Biden mind set-it and doesn't know when to turn off, hence after a while when it does stop, you will realize then that most of your message has not been texted. P.S. if you think you can use this phone for phone calls (and even more ridiculous,save the numbers in a directory) think again. Jim, start out with a non internet capable phone first- then as you become more comfortable with this type of tech, you can (if you have someone to help you) reach out for someplace you have never gone before and..... get on the internet! (This is something I do not advise, though!) Hint-get a phone that has NO SIM card.
Jim, when you open the package/box that the phone comes in, there will be a "How it works" section on the inside cover of the box that will give you an overview of what to do. It says this:
1. Select and purchase your Straight Talk phone.
2. Purchase the $45 Unlimited Nationwide 30-day Plan or the $60 Unlimited Nationwide plus Unlimited International Calling 30-day Plan using Auto-Refill or Refill on Demand.
3. Activate your phone online at StraightTalk.com or by calling 1-877-430-CELL (1-877-430-2355). You can choose to keep your existing phone number or receive a new number. You can bring your existing landline or cell phone number to Straight Talk. You also get call waiting, caller ID and voicemail at no extra charge.
4. Enroll your credit or debit card online at the end of your activaiton if you have selected Auto-Refill or Refill on Demand. Or purchase the $45 Unlimited Nationwide 30-day Plan or the $60 Unlimited Nationwide plus Unlimited International Calling 30-day Plan at participating Walmart locations.
5. Enjoy nationwide coverage on America's Best and Most Dependable Networks.
Once you open the box completely, there will be a guide on how to set up the phone ...listing of the contents, how to insert the battery, etc. You will also see what is called an "Activation Card" that will give you step-by-step instructions on how to activate the phone and will give you the numbers to give to Straight Talk that identify your phone in order to activate ...i.e., the MEID, serial number, etc. Straight Talk will give you a phone number at that time in your Area Code and city or closest location.
You may want to hold off buying a service card (or plan) until you actually activate the phone as you can purchase the first 30-days of service with a credit card at the time of activation. That way, you won't have to worry about purchasing a service card in advance for the initial 30-days of service.
Once you have the first 30-days under your belt, you can choose to buy service in advance in 90-, 180- or 365-day increments as doing so will give you a bit of a discount over paying $45 each month.
If you choose Auto-Refill, you don't have to worry about remembering to pay as $45 is automatically charged to your credit or debit card each month. That is a choice you can make at any time so don't worry about having to choose Auto-Refill immediately.
Good luck ...from one old geezer to another. Post again if you need clarification.